2013年10月29日 星期二

When I Was One-and-Twenty



When I was one-and-twenty
I heard a wise man say,
"Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies
But keep your fancy free."
But I was one-and-twenty,
No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard him say again,
"The heart out of the bosom
Was never given in vain;
'Tis paid with sighs a plenty
And sold for endless rue."
And I am two-and-twenty
And oh, 'tis true, 'tis true.



A.E. Housman

A.E. Housman (1859-1936) was born Alfred Edward Housman in Fockbury, England. He was a good student but failed his final exams at Oxford. However, he did not let that stop him. He continued his studies while working at the Patent Office in London and eventually he earned an M.A. in classical studies.

Housman became a Latin professor at University College in London and in 1910 he was appointed to be a professor of Latin at Cambridge University, where he remained until his death. As a scholar he wrote and taught extensively on classical Latin authors and he earned a reputation as a great classical teacher.

Housman’s first collection of poems was published, at Housman’s expense, in 1896, and titled, “A Shropshire Lad.” Shortly thereafter a contemporary of Housman, George Butterworth, added music to many of Housman’s poems from “A Shropshire Lad.” Butterworth also made a song out of Housman’s “When I Was One and Twenty.” 


沒有留言:

張貼留言